Ways to Save Energy at Home This Summer

Posted by on Aug 22, 2013 in Air Conditioning Repair Ft Myers FL | 0 comments

Heat created from within your home can contribute considerably to the expenses of cooling. Below are a couple of tips to assist in getting rid of heat from within in the home from Air Conditioning Repair Ft Myers FL:

Turn off incandescent lights. Just 5 % of the energy that enters a common incandescent bulb comes out as light. The remaining 95 % comes out as heat! Change to energy-efficient LED bulbs – they produce 90 % less heat, in addition to using 75 % less energy. At first more costly, they are actually less expensive than incandescent bulbs in the long run because they make use of less energy and last a lot longer.

Don’t place lights or TVs near your air conditioning thermostat. The heat from these appliances will trigger the air conditioner to run longer.

Cook with microwave, barbeque or pressure cooker. The microwave produces virtually no heat, and is a lot more energy-efficient than the stove or oven. The pressure cooker generates less interior heat with fairly reduced energy consumption. The barbeque, naturally, keeps the heat exterior.

Decrease sources of humidity. Reducing humidity in your house lead to less condensation on your air conditioner coils, conserving electrical power and lowering this concealed source of heat. To minimize humidity:
– vent clothing dryer to the exterior.
– use exhaust fans in kitchen and restroom.
– cover pots when cooking.
– If you have a crawl area, cover any bare dirt with a plastic ground-moisture obstacle.

Seal off laundry space; line-dry garments. Washers and clothes dryers generate large quantities of heat and humidity. When possible, utilize them in the morning or late evening when you can better put up with the extra heat. Seal the utility room when in use, and duct or vent the air to the outside of your house.

Use a clothes line to dry clothes. Clothes dryers launch a considerable amount of heat during operation; they also eat a great deal of electricity. Toss your garments in the dryer on fluff for a few minutes if line-dried clothes are too stiff.

Air dry dishes. This will lower the heat created by the drying out cycle of your dishwasher. Wash just complete loads to lower device use.

Insulate water heater. Water heaters radiate heat which can be quickly contained by insulation. You can purchase a water heater ‘blanket’, or insulate the water heater yourself making use of faced fiberglass insulation and tuck tape. Make certain not to cover any vents. This basic method will likewise considerably increase the efficiency of your water heater, leading to lower energy costs.

Turn off hot water circulating pump in summertime. If you have a hot water circulating pump for instantaneous hot water at all faucets consider shutting off for the summer. A lot of houses do not have insulated water lines and you pay both heating up the water and eliminating the heat from your home with your air conditioning, the little inconvenience is worth it for energy preservation.

Seal ducts and close basement doors. Numerous homes with central heating have ducts which run with the attic and crawl space. If the seams in these ducts are leaky, specifically in the attic, they can draw in hot summer season air which streams into your house, creating even more of a tons for a/c. Minor duct repair works are simple to achieve, and generally involve folding or crimping the tin edges with a pliers. Ducts in unconditioned areas, nevertheless, need to be sealed and insulated by competent specialists using the appropriate sealing materials. Air shaft which result in your basement should also be turned off, as this part of your house normally cools itself normally. Keep the door to the basement closed, as cool air will settle down to the basement where it isn’t needed.

Ventilate with a window fan. If outdoors temperature is below 77°, a window fan can be utilized to change hot indoor air. Locate fan on the downwind side with fan cutters directing the air outwards. To improve air flow, open a window in each space and make sure all interior doors are open.

Shut gas supply to fireplace and heaters. The pilot burner generates a considerable quantity of heat, and must be off throughout warm months. Re-lighting the aviator light in the fall is as easy as pushing a button on a lot of facilities. Fireplace dampers must likewise be closed throughout the hot months of the year; this decreases the loss of cooler air from inside the house.

As always, the US Department of Energy has excellent advice on energy efficiency as does the Energy Star website.

Air Conditioning Repair Ft Myers FL

Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.

Download or print a copy of this post here.